Our annual recruitment drive is underway and we are asking residents to step forward and join the team to ensure our services remain strong. “Becoming a volunteer firefighter allows you to give back to your community, in their time of need,” said Graeme Lindsay, Deputy Chief with AVFR. Volunteer firefighters are the backbone of our community and help keep us safe in many other ways than just putting out fires.
There are a ton of benefits to joining the volunteer department. This includes personal and leadership development, lifesaving first aid skills, and the reward of knowing you are helping out your community. In addition, our firefighters also receive on-call pay and are eligible for extended benefits.
We are hiring for two positions – Firefighter 1 Exterior and Firefighter 1 Exterior Auxiliary. Exterior is for those who live at Apex full-time/year-round and exterior auxiliary is for those who live seasonally on the mountain, but can still attend training during the off-season.
No experience is required. We provide the training and help recruits through every step of the way. You just need to agree to undertake the following general expectations of a firefighter:
- Always maintain safety, personal accountability, and situational awareness as top priorities.
- Work cohesively in a team-oriented environment
- Maintain a willingness to learn new concepts and ideas
- Maintain a willingness to participate in progressive (theory and practical) education.
- Know, understand, and follow the fire department’s operational bylaws, directives, policies, and standard operating guidelines
- Follow directions from supervisors
- Maintain mental and physical fitness and capability to perform the physically demanding tasks of a firefighter
- Maintain a valid BC class 5 driver’s license and provide a current driver’s abstract upon request.
- Successfully complete a criminal record (vulnerable sector) check on request
- Maintain availability and preparedness to respond to emergency calls
- Respond to fire, rescue, medical, non-medical, and miscellaneous emergencies when requested.
- Attend fire department training, meetings, and events
- Volunteer to help support community events when requested and available
- Attend 100% Firefighter 1 training sessions (first year; or until completion), 70% of the total available practices, and 40% callouts annually for subsequent years.
Application forms are available on our website here, or you can email email@example.com with any questions. We will follow up if you are a permanent or seasonal resident at Apex and are interested in joining a group of dedicated individuals. We would love to hear from you!
We accept applications year-round, however, the annual recruit training program will begin on January 3, 2024, so apply now to join!
Photos from our annual auto extrication training in early November 2023.